A large festive crowd gathered on a bright winters day to see two large squads from both sides turn out for this contest.
Blaydon squad was a mix from the club with:
- Some of the Blaydon youth, who have come through in previous years and are now in the first team squad, were very keen to turn out for a social game; Andy, Dan, James, Owen & Sean
- Georgians/Development squad; Jack, Jake, James Murray, Lewis and Callum
- Bricks represented by Goggle, Justin, Dingley 2, Cameron, GB, Stracks, Texas (he’s still a Brick, on loan at Winlaton) and Tom
- Couple of guests; Shane from USA in for Christmas and Dave Walton from Winlaton who just turned up on spec. to see if he could get a game, it’s Boxing day all welcome!.
Thanks to Windy and Sean for the pictures, sample below, rest available: https://www.flickr.com/photos/26086313@N08/sets/72157691558798415/
- Blaydon defence was immense with Ryton having more of the ball, but unable to breach our lines until a break from the young 9 close to the end.
- Andy and Owen swapped at half time, both provided quick ball from 9 and made good yards while at 15
- Front row enjoyed the skirmish against a good Ryton pack, especially Tom who was lining up scrumhalf, see the photos on Facebook and on Bricks site.
- James Cooney scored 3 long range try’s while he was on the field in the first half.
- Blaydon backs always looked dangerous with ball in hand and had pace to burn.
- Jack, Jake, Callum, Shane, Sean and Justin got round the park and made life difficult for Ryton to gain any momentum
- Strachs made some good yards going forward and some big hits in defence
- Texas tackling, yes honest it happened..
- Ryton had a very good, young 9 and 10 on display.
- Keith wasn’t available, so Paul took his yellow card for him!. He doth protest his innocence too much I think, even tried afterwards in the bar, with the totally unbiased independent referees….
- Changes at half time brought Dan, Jake, James Murray and David Walton on, so even more pace introduced
- Forwards will know they were in a contest after this game with some big hits and impacts
- Texas’s kick across field into Sean’s arms, as he lurked on the side line and ran in, no clue what a hooker was doing out there! But good try.
In summary really entertaining game, but job only half done, with second round on Saturday 30th 1pm at Ryton, with winner being over both games, Blaydon have the advantage, but first team squad being rested for return of the league campaign, so more 2nds/3rds and Bricks being called up.
Trys: James 3, Sean & Jake
Conv. Lewis 1
1 Paul Winter (Matty Bell)
2 Shane (Sean Pyle)
3 Tom Hirst
4 Jack Inglis
5 Callum Gasgoigne
6 Cameron Richardson (Jake Armstrong)
7 Justin Clark
9 Andy Richardson (Owen Reed)
11 Paul Dingley (David Walden)
12 James Cooney (Dan Turland)
13 Lewis Hill
14 Craig Barlow (James Murray)
15 Owen Reed (Andy Richardson)