Blaydon take the Festive Cheer in the National 2 North East Derby

Blaydon got off to a phenomenal start with fantastic try by Nathan Bailey in the first minute of the game. The try was created by a fantastic break by Jonny Ashman who turned a loose pass behind into a 50 metre break and a quick recycle and a few passes later Blaydon had crossed the line.
The next score followed just 8 minutes later, which came from a charge down on the Tynedale 22 which led to 5 minutes of Blaydon pressure which ended with Ethan Clarke crossing the Tynedale line. Both Blaydon tries were ably converted by Nathan Horsfall.
On 14 minutes it was Tynedale’s turn to attack Blaydon’s line and eventually it was Chris Wearmouth who went over from short range.
In complete contrast the remaining 25 minutes of the first half was much more of a war of attrition with the main events being Blaydon losing back row Paddy Cooper and then unbelievably his replacement Matt Charlton 5 mins later.
In this sustained period where both sides effectively cancelled each other out Tynedale went the closest to breaking the deadlock when hooker Dan Lowdon went over but he was brilliantly held up over the try line by James Cooney. And that ended up being the last excitement of the first half.
Half Time Blaydon 14 v Tynedale 7
The 2nd half continued like the end of the first, with 10 minutes of rugby between the two 22 metre lines with neither side breaking the others line.
After 15 minutes Tynedale found themselves in the Blaydon 22 but 10 -15 minutes of pressure came to nothing through culmination of excellent Blaydon defence and a few Tynedale handling errors.
25 minutes into the 2nd half it was Blaydon who nearly broke the deadlock with a Nathan Horsfall penalty which sailed just wide.
But five minutes later the deadlock was well and truly broken by a brilliant backs move which led to Jonny Ashman running a great line to again break the Tynedale line and this time it was Austin Phillips who was on hand to score an excellent try. Unfortunately, the conversion was missed but at 19 – 7 the home support were hoping that had sealed the game.
But frustratingly for the home side just 2 minutes later Tynedale kicked to the corner and a catch and drive led to ex-Blaydon player Chris Wearmouth scoring his 2nd try of the game. Which was again converted by James Blackett for his second conversion of the game.
Unfortunately for Tynedale that was too little too late and that ended up being the last score of the game, so Blaydon finished worthy winners.
Full Time score Blaydon 19 – Tynedale 14
Blaydon: Bailey, Cooney, Marshall, Ashman, Appleton, Horsfall, Clarkson, Dodds, Gray, Brantingham, Wright, Varley, Cooper, Harrison, Clarke.
Replacements: Pyle, Laidler, Phillps, Charlton, Clark
Tynedale: Cooke, Todhunter, Clark, Miller, Pike, Blackett, Outson, White, Lowdon, Haigh, Dunn, Wearmouth, Cousin, Bell, Wainwright
Replacements: Carmichael, Scott, Hanning, Robson, West
REFEREE: Alan Chandrichud
STAR MAN: Blaydon – Jonny Ashman
Blaydon 19
Tries: Bailey 1, Clarke 9, Phillips 57
Conversions: Horsfall 2, 10
Tynedale 14
Tries: Wearmouth 14, 75
Conversions: Blackett