Trys Chris Collins, Jerry, Joe
Conv Thacks 2
A friendly with Winlaton, draw would have bene a good result for such a close encounter, game played in good spirit, hard but fair, a good social event, 3 retirements from rugby; Kevin Scott, Paul Burr and Tony Rutherford, followed by a few beers, all in all a good day..
Similar story to previous seasons, it takes the Bricks a few weeks to get going and again we were short of players on the day with a few last minute cry offs / no shows. Winlaton thankfully loaned us a player, thank you, Grumpy played a blinder and played almost 65mins, Drennon showed up to watch and came onto play.
This game could and should have been won, but we got drawn into a close encounter exchange, when every time we went expansive and off-loaded in the tackle, Winlaton had no answer and we ran in good trys.
Highlights of the game:
- Keith’s new married life seems to have affected his balance, twice breaking through and tripping over the long grass….
- Jerry, making a return from a few seasons at Consett played scrum half and annoyed the dickens out of Winlaton. Played well, scored, tackled well, but lost ball in contact close to the line.
- We had a Turland father and son centre partnership with Dan (playing last game before he returns to uni) and Andy.
- Dan, Chris and Joe made great yards in open play
- Nat tackled everything and got beat up by the opposition, a tribute to how much he annoyed them
- Big Lad continued his impressive return, Winter brothers love this sort of encounter and Brett made a good return
- Thacks was good kicking from hand
Next week is a rest week, before returning to league action on 5th Oct v Ashington IIs away and given the amount of injuries we have the rest comes at an opportune time.
1 Paul Winter
4. Mike (Winlaton)
5. Big Lad
6. Craig McBurnie
8. Keith Winter
11. Chris Collins
12. Andy Turland
13. Dan Turland
14. Liam Bradley
15. Joe Snowdon