Honours even as Tynedale sneak the win in entertaining North East Derby

Tynedale just shaded the North East derby to give Captain Matty Outson a fitting send off at Tynedale Park after 13 years of playing first team for Tynedale.

Tynedale started the game a very quick pace and a good break by number 8 Blackburn and a quick recycle, the ball was fed out wide to the right wing where blind side wing forward Ben Bell was  unopposed to go over in the corner.

For next 10 minutes Tynedale continued to pile pressure on Blaydon and defence was stretched as result and within a minute they had both Centre Cooney and Scrum Half Clarkson sin binned for separate infringements at the breakdown.  So the following scrum left Tynedale with a 2 man advantage in the backs and Leslie kicked wide for right wing Todhunter to touch down. (10-0)

Only a few minutes later Blaydon kicked to clear their lines which was perhaps unwise given the disadvantage in the backs, this was easily exploited by full back Rob Parker who broke to the 22 and he fed Will Miller to score, this time converted by Leslie. (17-0)

Blaydon finally woke up and just as they got back to 15 players on the field and a penalty kick to the corner led to a line out and Blaydon crossed the white wash with a well-controlled catch and drive with Matty Winter touching down.

The Blaydon resurgence continued, a good kick return by Stephens and a break by Varley took the ball to the Tynedale line and the ball was passed out to Ashman to score. The conversion by Clarkson was good.

And again the red revival continued, a poor kick by Tynedale gave Blaydon a line out on the Tyne 22, Blaydon worked the ball quickly and after about 7 phases the ball found itself in Ashman’s hands and again he finished well to bring the scores level.

Half Time Tynedale 17 v Blaydon 17

The second started off in complete contrast to the first, with both teams looking to play rugby but neither breaking into the oppositions 22. After about 15 minutes of the 2nd half Tynedale gained a bit of momentum but were held up over the line. Blaydon dropped out under the posts but 2 phases later Tynedale were awarded a penalty in front of the posts which Leslie converted to take Tynedale back in front.

Blaydon’s response was fairly immediate, they kicked to the corner and from the line out Tynedale dragged the driving Maul down and referee ruled it was a penalty try for Blaydon as they were certain to score.

Tynedale controlled the next 10 minutes and after numerous phases attacking the Blaydon line they finally broke through with prop Angus White scoring wide out, which was well converted by Leslie. 27-24.

Blaydon pushed hard for score now I reply and had a line out 5 metres out but the throw was adjudged not straight and that turned out to the last play of the game.

Full Time: Tynedale 27 v Blaydon 24

Tynedale: Parker, Cooke, Clark, Miller, Todhunter, Leslie, Outson (C), White, Fletcher, Caudle, Wearmouth, Cousin, Bell, Tiffin, Blackburn

Replacements: Carmichael, Johnston, Stanwix, Blackett, Wainwright



Blaydon:, Ashman, Cooney, Clark, Sommarsall, Marshall (C), Clarkson, Brantingham, Winter,  Dodds, Wright, Phillips, , Harrison, Charlton.

Replacements: Chaplin, Thompson, Hall-Lyon, Appleton, Bailey



REFEREE:   Daniel Woods


STAR MAN:  Tynedale – Matty Outson



Tynedale 27

Tries:   Bell 1, Todhunter 15, Miller 19, White 71

Conversions: Leslie 20, 72

Penalties: Leslie 56


Blaydon 24

Tries:    Winter 24, Ashman 32, 37, Penalty 61

Conversions: Clarkson 33, Penalty Try 61