Carlisle 26, Blaydon 31

Blaydon came away from Cumbria with a hard-earned victory over a home side who fought constantly and hit back more or less every time the visitors scored and it was only good defensive work which in the end denied the home side the winning points.
The game began with Blaydon having constant pressure in the first 10 minutes with the home side never able to get control of the ball and it came as no surprise after being being camped on the home line for a short period, flyhalf Ryan Foreman cleverly cut through between the posts for the opening score which he duly converted only to leave the field a few minutes later with an injury and took no further part in the game.   However, not to be outdone, the home side hit back with a long distance try, despite the hint of a knock on in the early build up, which Jason Israel added the first of his 3 conversions.   The game was end to end and midway through the half, centre Dan Holmes, after a visiting missed tackle, put the home side in front with a converted try and at this time Blaydon had to defend desperately.  Just before the break, replacement flyhalf Jordan Carey cut through for a replica of the first try by the player he replaced, kicking the easy conversion.
All square at the break, Blaydon quickly went in front when wing forward Rob Lenderyou streaked in after a good handling movement between backs and forwards and then a fine touch find by Carey saw Blaydon win a scrappy lineout but eventually replacement wing forward Sean Pyle showed impressive skills when side stepping two would be tacklers to score wide out and increase the visitors lead.
Carlisle then re-doubled their efforts and centre Chris Auld crashed over for another 7 pointer.
Unlike previous games, Blaydon retained their composure and several probing efforts were rewarded when centre Alex Clarke cut through between the posts for Carey to again add the extras.   The home side however, pressed Blaydon in the closing stages, and scrumhalf James Telford touched down following a tap penalty but with time running out, Blaydon stoutly defended and eventually the referee blew for time with the visiting side but about deserving the spoils and retain second place in the table.
We now have the seasional break and our next game will be at home on 4th January 2020 when Blackburn are our visitors.
A very Merry Christmas to all.
Jim Huxley