Blaydon 17 Ampthill 40

For the 2nd week in succession it was top 3 opposition for Blaydon and with much the same result, but whilst Ampthill yesterday were far the better organised side Blaydon at times were guilty of contributing to their own downfall.

In a short spell just before the interval however they showed what was possible by scoring a brace of tries and at the break it was 17-26, a much narrower gap than had seemed likely after a disastrous start.
Star man for the opposition was winger Nigel Baker who ran in a hat-trick of tries inside 30 minutes and the stage was set for a comfortable away win. In Ampthill’s first real attack they moved it quickly on from a line-out and then through the backs until a long cut-out pass found Baker in splendid isolation on the left wing and who was able to stroll in.
Andrew Baggett responded with a penalty but 6 minutes later Baker was in again from a similar position after some smart work by the scrum-half. Blaydon then had a long spell of pressure in the Ampthill 22, without ever looking likely to score, and eventually were turned over by Peter Weightman who raced the length of the pitch before handing on to Kevin Barrett who in turn unselfishly gave it to Baker to complete his hat-trick.
The Blaydon forwards then had another good spell in the 22, Chris Wearmouth in his 250th game for the club involved in most of it, and this time Andrew Davidson crossed near the posts and Baggett added the extras. Back came the visitors with a try bonus score though Joseph Bercis but right on the interval Tom Grimes broke clear to combine with Max Connon and send in Jack Davidson for a converted score and make it 17-26.
Ampthill increased their lead early in the second period when Ralph Adams-Hale emerged from broken play to storm into the 22 and put flanker Syd Blackmore in under the posts.
The game then began to fizzle out with little happening and neither side creating an opportunity until the visitors had two of their forwards yellow carded in quick succession.
It was ripe for Blaydon to take advantage and some good positions were gained and then spurned, and in the final minute they coughed up possession once again for the grateful Adams-Hale to secure a 6th try with a 50 metres break. Michael Wilson landed the conversion to add to add to 4 earlier efforts by Steffan Jones.

John Brennan