Thanks to Phil Rayson for playing for the opposition
Sorry no photos, camera away for repair
Trys: Ian Bennie, Matt, Chester, Adam, Lowsey & Brett
Conv. Lowsey 1, Gerry 2
Warm beautiful day for rugby spectators and we had a good few, not so good for the our players though, especially those making comebacks and lacking a touch of fitness.
Highs and Lows:
· Strength of the squad increases with 6 people playing a first game of the season
· Lowsey, great break from the 22, pulled down just short and Matt was on hand to take the ball over the line
· Matts long clearance from the 22 hits Keith beer on the half way, at least he didn’t break his finger trying to catch it, good news, most of his pint was saved.
· Joe first game, playing flyhalf, dummy switch with Chester, hits Lowsey out wide who was just brought down short
· Next play Joe short ball to Chester on a great line and ran in 35 yards (still think it was forward) under the posts
· Joe came off after 20mins, as couldn’t breath and tired…. Big tart.
· Lowsey throws a bad pass and Craig pulls his groin trying to bring it in
· Matt made a good break towards the halfway, but a little lad from Berwick stripped the ball off him and set off in the opposite direction, matt, he’s behind you….
· Damien made a good try saving interception in the 22
· Good half, game played at pace and Bricks were starting to struggle, the training is illegal and dangerous policy, taking it’s toll.
· 2nd half started similar to first Bricks in the ascendancy, Berwick penalised, Liam takes a quick penalty and Gerry, well lets put it down to first game for a long time, juggled and lost the ball forward.
· Joe recovering after what I assume was a nap came back on for Matt, who’s knee went, ran it back from fullback and chipped the ball to the corner to put Lowsey in for a score.
· Cliff goes down on the floor and whipped out Ant
· Ryan break out of 22, takes contact and throws the ball way forward
· Chester on a break, drops the ball and all h*ll let’s loose and ends up with Lowsey leaving the field after retaliation for taking a short arm across his face
Summary: Some great rugby played by the Bricks on a day all 4 senior sides were playing, showing the strength in depth at Blaydon at the moment, we had 6 subs and needed them all. What should have been a more comfortable win was squandered and we let Berwick back into the game, as we took our mind off playing the game and got a bit caught up in off the ball issues. You can not fault the commitment and emotion from these guys playing for the Blaydon badge, but they do need to learn to stick with the game plan and not let the opposition get uder their skin. In the end the result was a fair reflection, we were the better side.
Next week our league games continue with an away fixture against Northern Panthers
2. Richard Pyke (Ian Bennie)
3. Ryan (Ian Kelly)
4. Cliff (Brett)
5. Adam Knox
6. Ian Bennie
7. Phil Divers
10. Joe Snowdon (Gerry)
11. Damien. (Anthony)
12. Davy Lowes
14. Craig Barlow (Paul Dingley)
15. Matt Goodall