Development Team News
Great admiration to Consett 3rds, who came up against a very youthful Development side on the full size AGP, but although the referee offered to cut short the game they stayed with it to the end and scored 2 good trys, the whole game was played in great spirit.
Thanks to Derek for the photos 161 online at https://www.flickr.com/photos/26086313@N08/albums/with/72157706895656514
The Development side contain around 9 players under the age of 20, the speed and ability of these guys, added to some ‘older’ heads to contribute bags of experience was just too much for Consett 3s. There was so much pace in this side, both forwards and backs, Consett had no idea where the next line break was coming from. It was a very entertaining game for the crowd with some brilliant trys and played in brilliant spirit by Consett who were just up against a better side on the day, their Captain & team did the Consett club proud, it happens, we’ve all been on the wrong side of unmatched sides, you play, you shake hands, you drink in the bar and move on, all achieved. Our thanks also to Keith Oliver, Paul Winter and Ewan Lowry, all of whom played for Consett as they sustained injuries as the game came to a close.
Trys: Mark MacC 3, Craig Y, Dammo, Rob P, Damien A-B, Jak T, Ryan R, James M, Paddy, Savs, ??
Conv: Jak 4, James M 2, Mark Mac 1
Highs & Lows:
- Line speed and hits in defence were immense, especially around the edges of the mauls from the likes of Ewan, Rob, Jake and Dammo.
- Oliver, Paddy and Ewan from the forwards were everywhere, in attack and defence
- Breaks came from everywhere, especially, Jak T, Mark Mac, Max, Craig Y, Ryan, then Savs and James when they came on.
- David R got the ball out wide, rounded the winger, who had a lot more experience than him, (shall we say) and then somehow seemed to run around in a circle and managed to get himself tangled in his Zimmer frame and step out of play.
- Consett had no answer to Craig Y, Ryan or Mark Mac jinking runs
- Paddy secured good lineout ball
- James Murray was having a wingding time on the bench, first deciding he was injured and couldn’t play, declaring he couldn’t play 9, 10 or 15, then feeling left out as he was not starting (although he was part of the Bricks squad till their game was conceded) so we put him on at 10 and then 9 in the 2nd half, it shut him up and he played well at both, as James does, possibly just experiencing the change of life, early…..
- Looked like Jake broke his nose, but he was convinced it was just a bit blood and was only happy when he went back on
- Great break from Dammo thro from around halfway on the fullback, got to 22, with pace to burn idling in 1st gear on either side of him, too many options, fullback took him down, renamed ‘Dammo, won’t pass’
- Matt R crossed the try line but didn’t seem to want to put it down!
- Keith O went on for Consett, great sportsmanship, but shortly afterwards he was probably having 2nd thoughts as Ewan and Rob hit him as he received a looping pass, which set him up to get hit, ‘Oh Sh1te’ was heard, just before he was hit hard.
- Paul Winter went on for Consett in front row and him and Tom described the scrums as aggressive cuddling, not many smiles on the photos from them, too busy preparing for the cuddle!
- Savs made a great break from own 22 and slowed up to let James M catch up, to run it in from 22 and score…
- Ewan Lowry went on for Consett and immediately ran over the top of Damien A-B, but lost the ball with the line beckoning.
- Adam came on, went for glory near the line, but knocked on
Great display from a very talented, with Winlaton 2s beating Sunderland 2s in the other leg, its sets up a local derby for the final, date still to be agreed.
- Damien Martinez
- Oliver Williams
- Brett Hanratty
- Ewan Lowry
- Matthew Johnson
- Rob Pyle
- Jake Armstrong
- Paddy Cooper
- Jak Tuck
- Mark MacCallan
- Craig Youngmn
- Max Nellis
- Damien Ameer-Beg (Capt)
- David Reay
- Ryan Robson
- Cameron Richardson
- Tom Hirst
- Paul Winter
- Adam Turnbull
- James Murray
- Matt Robertson
- Andrew Savory
Sat 16th February, Blaydon Development 31, Ryton 2s 20
• Trys: Ollie, Jon Curry 2, Fraser, Jake
• Conv: Cameron 2, Mark M.
Photos, sorry not many as we had no pitch side photographer (jobspot open) few below, rest online: www.flickr.com/photos/26086313@N08/albums/with/72157706895656514
With a good mix of youth and Vets, Blaydon were just too strong for a very young Ryton side. Thanks to our Vets who turned out, they will know they were in a game this morning: Damo, Brett, Jon Curry, Wardy & Ryan.
Damien A-B stepped up as captain, led the pre-game, galvanised them into a team, which became more evident as the game developed, the whole squad improved. Only blot on his day was a yellow card…
Highs & Lows:
• Forwards were immense in the loose, taking ball on and battering through Ryton defence
• Paddy provided great ball from the line out
• Scrum took a little time to settle, but came out on top
• Fraser, Mark M and Craig Y were a real handful, making big yards, Ryton just couldn’t control them
• Ollie and Paddy were everywhere, both in attack and defence
• Cameron got 2 kicks…..
• Wardy was back to tricks with reverse passes
• Great to see Rob Pyle back, he still hits as hard in the tackle
• Ryan snuffed out Ryton’s kick/chase at Fullback and as always was great in defence
• I kept cringing for Ryton every time Jon Curry ran at them…. He bagged 2 trys and with a few more games under his belt he will score more.
• Someone caught me with my own camera, two handed drinking, well it had been a stressful week… and I knew the Bricks were 12:0 down at halftime.
Even with the introduction of 3 Fijians in the 2nd half, (delayed on their journey from Catterick Army Base) Blaydon forwards still outmuscled them and our backs knocked Ryton down.
Semi-final will be 2nd March away at Consett 3s www.durhamrugby.com/competitions/county-cups/3rd-team-cup
1 Damien Martinez
2 Oliver Williams
3 Brett Hanratty (Jake Jobey)
4 Will Daniels
5 Jon Curry
6 Rob Pyle
7 Cameron Richardson
8 Paddy Cooper
9 Mark Ward
10 Fraser Wright (Darren Cook)
11 Craig Youngmn
12 Mark MacCallan
13 Damien Ameer-Beg (Capt)
14 Craig Oliver
15 Ryan Robson
First round: 13th October
Quarter Final: 16th February
Semi Final: 2nd March
2nd Team Cup
Saturday 13th October – Georgians have a Bye
3rd Team Cup
Saturday 13th October – Development away to Hartlepool IIs
4th Team Shield
Shield starts at Quarter Final stage as there are only 8 teams involved
Saturday 16th February, away to Ryton 3rds
Good to see some old and new faces in a Blaydon shirt:
• Scott Kelly has returned to the club and was a handful for Ryton
• Jake Jobey has also returned, having been in Blaydon youth and will certainly strengthen our front 5 capability
• Ewan Lowry from last years U18 played for both the 2s and the Development on the day
• Lee Guest has returned after his travels and work commitments and fitted straight in
• Anth has returned to playing, from not turning up to carry the water bottles and played his part in the victory
• First to Ryton, who came a long with 13 so we both got a game
• Next to Jake Jobey and Paul Winter for playing a half each for Ryton
Few points on the photos above:
• You can see our forwards looking at Scott holding the ball, thinking, well there’s only 3 of them, no hurry
• Good to see Jake back playing, although first thing he did was play first half for Ryton……
• Doesn’t Paul look good in blue… we may be able to trade him for a box of Stella… a full case 24 * 330ml mind…
Photos: Click here for Flickr – Sorry only 21 photos this week, was me taking the photos and we know that doesn’t work…
Other highs & lows from the game:
• Blaydon forwards were in the ascendancy with good lineouts, driving, interplay and support play
• You could tell it was early in the season and first game for the Development side, tackling wasn’t where it should have been, as can be seen from the sharing of 89 points.
• Good tackling in the backs from Savs and Divers
• Not sure where Anth was going, on one of the defensive, he got all excited and I think he took the inside centre….
• Guesty wanted me to mention his try saving tackle on the big Fijian and seemed hurt I didn’t get it on camera, reality is I hardly got anything photos, too busy watching the game…. Given he asked, we will watch more closely to be able to report any of his howlers next game….
• Bit confusion at a kick off, with Arran, Hopey and Stracks all looking at each other and a Ryton player running in a stealing the ball.
• Paul Winter dropped a kick off in the second half, we assured Ryton he does it all the time when he’s playing for us
• Hopey did well with Conversions; 5 from 7
Summary; first game for the Development, a hard fixture against a very quick Ryton side and a clash of 2 styles, Blaydon with forward power and Ryton with youngsters capable of scoring from anywhere, but a win with maximum league points, couldn’t ask for any more
Next week Development travel to Berwick
• Trys: Arran 2, Hopey, James, Divers, Stracks, Savs
• Convs: Hopey 5
1. Scott Kelly
2. Tom Hirst
3. Paul Winter (Jake Jobey)
4. Arran Poad
5. James Knox (Ewan Lowry)
6. Cameron Richardson
8. Stu Bailey
10. Phil Divers
11. Damien Shaw
12. Lee Guest
13. Peter Andrew Bath
Suspendisse suscipit dictum metus at dignissim. Sed eu interdum sapien. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vivamus nec leo est. Vestibulum nec mauris tortor. Morbi ultrices consectetur ex, vestibulum vehicula dolor facilisis at. Nam eu convallis lectus. Ut tempor justo ex. Fusce quis augue ante. Sed id neque porttitor, pharetra mi sit amet, imperdiet sem. Vivamus non dignissim nisl, vitae ultricies velit. Duis semper posuere sem et pretium. Aenean in sodales nulla, suscipit efficitur ipsum. Vestibulum magna orci, ornare in volutpat sed, dignissim non erat. Proin eget volutpat enim.
Next round draws available for County Cup
SATURDAY 17th FEBRUARY 2018
Great result for the Development on Saturday against Newton Aycliffe (2s) Newtonians, other results and next rounds available online:
SATURDAY 17th FEBRUARY 2018
Georgians at home to Hartlepool Rovers
Development away to West Hartlepool.
Bricks away to Chesterlee Street 2s
Crow Trees, Hexham Road,
Swalwell, Newcastle Upon Tyne,
Tel: 0191 4200505