Big thank you to Mariners who loaned us 2 players so we had a full side, as well as a 3rd when we got an injury later on, thank you Ray, Jack and Screech. Thanks also to Ian Bennie for making a return and Keith Oliver and Toddy for forgetting about injuries and playing.
Shields lost loads of players over the summer and are struggling getting two teams out presently, but their spirits are good and they never took a backward step in this game, we wish them all the best for their recruitment/recovery and look forward to the return game on 19th January.
Have to say immensely proud of the attitude of the Bricks players on the day, following cry offs and loads of unavailability, we were warming up with 13 players, knowing we would get some players, but not what positions, facing a large squad from Shields, a lesser side could have been disheartened, but the Bricks, just looked around at the quality of players which were there and got on with the job in hand, people played out of position to help the team (Harry in centre, Lee at 9 and Ian on the wing) and Bricks were deserved winners on the day.
This game had everything:
- Mariners were great sports and the players they loaned us really put themselves about
- We got the loan players just as the game started, so had no time to warm up with them, but you wouldn’t have been able to tell, they fitted straight in.
- Lee Guest at 9, yes 9, after Thacks bailed on Saturday and Stu B was called up to the 2s
- Ian Bennie out of retirement (not sure he ever truly announce it anyway)
- Harry playing in the centre, he gave his shirt back at the end of the game and announced it didn’t need washing
- Justin was back from injury – think he decided whatever it was couldn’t get any worse
- A large crowd, Mariners brought a number with them and it was a nice day and lots of Blaydon support turned out
- David Reay with outrages blue laces, it was determined, these being too tight were the cause of his current injury
- Forwards played as a unit, lineout worked well, scrummage was dominant, every maul made good yards and we had runners standing off everywhere. Shields tackled loads, but must have been sick of seeing red shirts running into them. Never understood our foreheads, why they don’t avoid contact is beyond me, be hey thankfully they are on our side and I never had to play against them.
- Defence was immense from forwards and back
- Keith Oliver on the side line injured caught game fever and went on, again on basis he knows it will hurt next day, but he wanted to be involved, good to have him back
- Toddy stripping Guesty on the side line for his gear, after he decided his injury wasn’t that bad and wore a knee brace to cure anything/everything. He’s definitely one of the taller 9s around.
Highs & Lows:
- Keith got a try dis-allowed for crawling over the line with tacklers on his back and legs, it was more of a elbow shuffle really and the referee announce a ‘double’ movement was under selling (more quadruple) it!
- Savs & Harry broke the gain line, time after time
- Divers cleared everything up at the back and ran back at the Mariners gaining loads of yards
- Damien scored a good try down the side line
- Guesty must have ESP, he was heard attracting attention (screeching), loudly at a ruck, just before he got injured at the next breakdown….
- After in a previous exchange he was being high tackled, Craig Oliver (our new Mr Angry) was pulled up for a ‘Cliffy’ trademarked handoff, continued on so well by Paul W (although he doeth protest he is just clumsy) well more of an arm off, he protested his innocence, but then Cliff & Paul always did…
- Keith W managed to conquer his issue with the trifecta (breathing, running and passing) by catching the ball, stopping and passing, a good pass to Harry to score, whatever next, maybe Paul will catch a kick off.
• Trys; Divers, Damien S, Harry
• Conv. Divers
Thanks to Derek Turnbull for 141 pictures
Few comments on the selection above:
- It looks like Guesty is willing that pass to get to someone…… remember he asked for praise on his tackling in the last match report…..
- First Mariners encounter with our stand in centre, Harry hanging just off Savs shoulder, a couple didn’t get up from those tackles in the middle of the park
- Any clue what Keith was doing on the flyhalf channel, well he caught it….
- Divers running from fullback was a little of ‘which way did he go’ at times
- Not sure how Stracks got left behind, looks like he must have ran backwards to get up steam, coming off the back of the scrum!
- Justin certainly looks focused
1. Paul Winter
2. Ray – Loan player (Ian Bennie)
3. Keith Winter
4. Steve Sewell
5. Cameron Richardson
6. Jack – Loan Player
7. Justin Clarke
9. Lee Guest (Mark Todd)
11. Ian Bennie (Screech – Loan Player)
12. Damien Shaw
14. Craig Oliver
15. Phil Divers