Winlaton chose to play up the hill in the first half and were 3 scores down at half time. They always claim the hill is worth 12 points, so they we a little behind at turnaround, but the youngsters we unleashed in the second half, ran up the hill for fun and Bricks won both halves.
This was a double header league game, so good bag of points for Bricks to stop the downward slip in the league.
Highs & Lows:
• Lost a few players at last minute; Strachs to 2s, Arran to sickness and Jake just went AWOL
• Lewis, Charlie, Alex and Cam were late due to car trouble, so all 4 played the 2nd half, Sorry Saxons
• Lee was saving himself for his Ski holiday, sideline counted/announced 3 missed tackles, bar it was all about staying on his feet to cover outside men, ankle tapping props, just get down and get tangled in their legs.
• Hopey actually tackled well in the centres, Steve Sewell chopped people down
• Bricks forwards had the upper hand in scrum and line out with Adam jumping (Turnbull, not Knox)
• First half was a master class in forward play, Scott did some damage, Adam T was everywhere, Stu was back and played as an extra forward at 9
• Savs & Divers lines had Saxons asking, which way did he go
• Didn’t look good for Saxons, when shortly after the KO our backs ran the ball from just outside the 22 for Alex to score.
• Saxons 9 (Mick) was heard to say, I couldn’t catch him in my car’
• Charlie (9) Cam (12 and Alex (13) played first game for Bricks (had played 2s & Development) and fresh legs with that speed and ability cut Winlaton up, but as you’d expect Saxons heads didn’t go down.
• Dags had a good half at 8 and did the damage for Saxons later in 2nd half, but poor tackling from the Bricks didn’t help, not just Lee and Hopey wasn’t on!
Photos, thanks to Derek Turnbull, see them all via link: hhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/26086313@N08/albums/72157702653548832
Comments on 6 photos selected above:
- Damien making new friend
- Keith, what you doing right up there and passing…. For youngens to score
- Caught on camera, one of Lee’s missed tackles
- Divers taking Dags for a walk, also nice shot of Brick’s Tour socks on Charlie
- Forwards looking relaxed, NOT
Lee looks like he’s reading the tackling manual
• Trys; Goggle, Adam T 2, Divers , Savs, Charlie, Alex 3
• Conv. Hopey 2, Lewis 3
1. Paul Winter
2. Keith Winter
3. Tom Hirst
4. Scott Kelly
5. Adam Knox (Adam Turnbull)
6. Steve Sewell
7. Adam Turnbull (Stu Bailey)
9. Stu Bailey (Charlie Mandley)
10. Savs (Lewis Hill)
11. Damien Shaw (Lee Guest)
12. Lee Guest (Cam Moore)
13. Hopey (Alex Young)
14. Craig Barlow
15. Phil Divers