Match report by Criag Barlow…..
A game of 2 halves
The team were down on numbers due to fielding 4 teams for the cup games but the fight in all of the players made up for that.
Blaydon lost the toss and played up the hill in the first half. A tough first half but we knew what we needed to do – suck up the pressure, keep it tight, have a big defence, and don’t give too many penalties away.
Blaydon did most of that well, except for the penalties. Too many penalties from a whistle happy man in yellow had Blaydon pinned back in their 22, with strong winds stopping the ball getting cleared. What didn’t help was Keith Winter getting a 10 minute rest in the first half for failing to release the ball, which in his defence was hard due to a man in blue lying on top of him.
Half time, Ryton 12 Blaydon 0
Second half and Blaydon had all the advantages. Down the hill, wind with us, and sun behind our backs.
Game plan: ball in the corner, play the rest of the game in Ryton’s 22.
The forwards were dominating at every play. Stronger in the scrum, and stealing line outs for fun.
The backs did their part, strong running and great hands.
4 great tries in the 2nd half sealed the win for Blaydon, and we now move onto the semi final.
Full time, Ryton 12 Blaydon 24
– Injured and tired bodies all over the pitch but never stopped going
– Game plan worked perfectly
– Toddy and Steve S being extra versatile and playing in the forwards and backs
– Guesty announcing to everyone that we were a much better team with 14 players and we didn’t need Keith
– Well deserved Man of the Match to Adam Turnbull
– Keith’s regurgitation post the man of the match drinking race, sorry correction, Keith’s involvement was as ‘Dick of the day’…more hits than Brexit on Facebook
Tries: Divers, K Winter, Savs 2
Cons: Divers, Twinny
L Guest (S Palmer)