County Cup Semi Final Result – Bishop Auckland 8 – Blaydon 64
Try Scorers: Ewan Brown 3, Matthew Stewart 2, Dylan Kidd 2, Lloyd Hall 1, James Hill 1, Sam Green 1.
Conversions: Dan Tedstill 4 from 5, Dylan Kidd 3 from 4, Harry Campbell 0 from 1
Summary from Paul Vinnicombe
The first thing we talked about when we went into the changing room was our mental approach, and from the moment we left the changing room it was clear to see with all of the lads they were really up for this match and as the KO approached and they got in their huddle you could feel the intensity that was about to be unleashed by the mighty Roar of the squad!!I think we may have been a bit too worked up for this as we seemed very panicked for the 1st 5-10 minutes which saw Bishop Auckland benefit from a string of little mistakes and silly penalties which led to us going down by 3 points.
We restarted and with a tremendous back line racing up underneath the kick we forced an error and got the ball in our hand and from that moment all we done is show our physical dominance with every scrum, tackle & ball carry, everything we done we went forward.
Today’s game had it all, our set piece was solid- our forwards carried very well and defended fantastically. Our backs ran some great lines cutting through their defence like a hot knife through butter and when Bishop did manage to scramble back to make the tackle we had a support runner to take the offload.
– driving past the ball in the rucks so we can get quicker ball
– Scan and communicate, there was a few times after 3/4/5 phases Bishops front row found themselves out on the wing….. we need to recognise this and get the ball out to these areas for our backs to exploit the situation.
My Best Bits:
– Matty bounding 40 yards up the wing with his short line out, great strong run 💪🏃♂️
– Dan T’s great chip over into the corner for Dylan to finish off, good game sense Dan 👍
– Sam & James’s try, both fantastic running lines and finished off with great support play.
I’m very proud of the effort from the lads today I always say the only thing anyone can ask is for 100% effort and that’s what we got and the amazing rugby we seen was a definite bonus. The final is to be played on May 3rd against Westoe RFC who beat Darlington MP 12-7 in a tight affair! Venue/kick off times to be posted in due course.
#pumpthecrow #blaydonno1 #myrugbyfamily