‘Walking Rugby’ is increasing in popularity, improving fitness levels in a safe environment and enjoying the social activity around it. The game is mixed gender, suitable for ex-players, players rehabilitation or non-players who want social exercise and for all abilities.
Take a look at the overview on video click here
Just when you thought your rugby career may come to an end one day, ‘Walking Rugby’ steps in as a real consideration for people who want to:
- Rekindle past friendships with teams mates
- Join new teams and build that camaraderie only taking part in a team can achieve
- Meet new friends with like minded people
- Get out the chair, do some exercise and have a pie & pint/gin/prosecco
WHAT IS WALKING RUGBY
As the name suggests, running is forbidden as is passing the ball higher than shoulder height. There are also no high tackles – or indeed any tackles – and, crucially, no contested scrums, rucks or mauls.
Instead players are allowed to hold onto the ball for no more than three seconds before passing, keeping the pace moving and giving the other team an opportunity to intercept. No running allowed.
WHO IS IT FOR
Walking Rugby complements the other rugby variants we offer at Blaydon, with O2 Touch and contact rugby also available. Walking rugby is for anyone and over. Sessions are adapted to cater for all backgrounds and experiences of Rugby. Veterans of the game are welcome as are newcomers.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Your first two sessions are free, to introduce you to the sport, after that:
- the one hour session on Thursday morning is free as its sponsored by RFU
- the evening session which will take place at 6pm on either Tuesday night will have a nominal charge (£3) per person to cover the hire of the AGP and provision of certified coach to run the session.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING/WEAR?
All equipment is provided. Participants must wear suitable clothing, bring some water and as sessions will take place on artificial grass pitch; moulded, plastic or metal stud boots are required.
WHO DELIVERS THE SESSION?
The Walking Rugby sessions will be delivered by a RFU certified coach who will use the rules of Walking Rugby developed by Age UK.
Coaches received Older Peoples Champion training developed by Age UK. This is a condition of delivering Walking Sports. The feel of the sessions will be very much social and fun, whilst providing physical activity. Sessions will last one hour.