2018/19 Season sees the introduction of an Artificial Grass Pitch (AGP) at Blaydon RFC which is great news given how well our 1st team played on such a surface, for it’s last 4 home games at Kingston Park last season. Blaydon 1st Team started a transition last season, moving from a forward dominant team to a mobile team of starters and finishers, perfectly suited to an AGP and great for today’s players and spectators alike. If you want to be part of something special, as it develops, come join us!
The pitch is ‘State of the art’ and has been implemented under the RFU – Rugby 365 initiative, everything is brand new; pitch, floodlights, sponsors signs (and new sponsors), dugouts, posts, perimeter fencing, the lot! and it will surely help take rugby at Blaydon RFC to a new level.
The pitch is finished construction and results of final testing are expected soon to approve it for use. The Pitch will be used by all areas of the club; senior teams, youth teams and on Friday nights for Vets games.
On the wider plans for the season:
- We have a brand new website to improve/update our profile, consolidated with our youth and providing information related to all areas of the club; Rugby, Functions, Car Boot, Sponsorship, Event Calender and active News stories
- We have a new Director of Rugby; Matt Thompson who started our rugby transformation after taking over part way through last season and we’re excited to see it complete
- 1st Team:
- Our prime objective for the season is to make an immediate return to National Division 2 North, which we know will be a challenge, as there are some very good teams competing in the North Premier league.
- Our playing squad is swelling with new signings and great to see many players making a return to Blaydon RFC
- Season start – 15th September sees the official opening of the AGP, with an array of youth games, 1st team home game v Hull and a family fun day, one not to be missed.
- Our Youth set-up is to be envied, they have plans to increase the squad sizes/amount of teams and introduce a Girls teams at appropriate age group
- We will continue to work on how we transition players from our youth to our senior teams, with more and more players from the youth playing for senior teams at Blaydon, we want to increase this further.
- Senior teams – we are again running 1sts, Georgians, Development, Bricks and the Crows (our Vets) and fixtures will be published shortly
- We are currently reviewing our overall club development and will reach out soon to get input from all areas to help us shape and prioritise the associated improvement initiatives
2018/19 will be an exciting period for all areas of Blaydon RFC, don’t watch from the outside, come get involved and be part of the club’s journey!
From all at Blaydon RFC